Buy this article for $3.95

Have a coupon or promotional code? Enter it here:

When you buy this article you'll get access to the ePub version, a downloadable PDF, and the ability to print the full article.

Source:

Nursing2015

February 2008, Volume 38 Number 2 , p 59 - 59

Authors

Abstract



You can't see or smell carbon monoxide (CO), but at high levels it can kill you in minutes. Carbon monoxide is produced from burning a fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced usually isn't hazardous. But if they aren't working properly or you use them incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. Even more die from CO produced by idling cars.

Protect yourself and others by following this advice.

* Have your fuel-burning appliances—including oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ranges and ovens, gas dryers, gas or kerosene space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves—inspected by a trained professional at the beginning of every heating season. Make certain that the flues and chimneys are connected, in good condition, ...

To continue reading, buy this article for just $3.95.

Have a coupon or promotional code? Enter it here: