Hospitals are among the best employers for people age 50 and over, according to an annual report from the AARP (American Association of Retired People). On this year's list, 12 of the top 35 best places to work are hospitals that have taken steps to address the needs of an older workforce, such as retraining retired nurses, offering flexible working hours, and providing phased retirement options. The report noted that the health care industry is working hard to keep mature nurses on the job. The health care industry was also the largest single group in last year's list of 25 best employers.
The 12 health care industry employers on the list are:
1. Scripps Health, San Diego, Calif.
2. SSM Health Care, St. Louis, Mo.
3. Scottsdale Healthcare, Scottsdale, Ariz.
4. Beaumont Hospitals, Southfield, Mich.
5. New York University Medical Center, New York, N.Y.
6. Bon Secours Richmond Health System, Richmond, Va.
7. St. Mary's Medical Center, Huntington, W.Va.
8. Centegra Health System, Woodstock, Ill.
9. North Memorial Health Care, Robbinsdale, Minn.
10. West Virginia University Hospitals, Morgantown, W.Va.
11. Loudoun Healthcare, Inc., Leesburg, Va.
12. The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Tex.