November 2003, Volume 33 Number 11 , p 73 - 74
1. A 39-year-old patient returns from the OR after undergoing a right thoracotomy. An I.V. solution of 5% dextrose in 0.45% sodium chloride solution is infusing. Which type of I.V. solution is the patient receiving?
2. Which of the following electrolytes maintains cell electroneutrality?
3. Which of the following statements about solutes in diffusion is accurate?
a. They move from an area of lower concentration to an area of higher concentration.
b. They move against the concentration gradient.
c. They move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration.
4. Fluid volume and concentration is regulated by the interaction of aldosterone and which other hormone?
a. antidiuretic hormone
b. thyroid-stimulating hormone
c. follicle-stimulating hormone
5. Phosphate is an electrolyte that's responsible for
a. maintaining bones and teeth.
b. activating intracellular enzymes.
c. maintaining serum osmolarity.
6. An 89-year-old patient with a history of heart failure has an I.V. solution infusing through microdrip tubing. Microdrip tubing delivers how many drops per minute?
a. 20 gtt/minute
b. 60 gtt/minute
c. 80 gtt/minute
7. An 85-year-old patient with a history of abdominal aortic aneurysm resection is admitted to the ED with dehydration. Which of the following contraindicates insertion of an I.V. catheter in his arm?
a. hemodialysis arteriovenous (AV) fistula
b. previous I.V. site
c. nondominant arm or hand
8. An 18-year-old patient is admitted to your unit with seizures. Although he has an I.V. catheter in place withI.V. fluids infusing, you need to insert an intermittent-infusion ...